Wednesday, April 22, 2015

SAQA Conference Donation

Oops. I let my blog languish. I was posting a couple of times a week and then I missed a week. And another week. Anyway, I'm hoping to be back on track. Let's start with this sweet little quilt.

I made it to send to the Studio Art Quilt Associates annual conference which is happening in just a couple of weeks in Portland, Oregon. They have a "spotlight auction" at the conference where any member can send a small quilt to be mounted in a 4.5 x 6.5 inch mat.

Here is Between Winter and Spring.

I started with a simple landscape design, using my beloved blue Kaffe stripe.

Then I added a tree.

Since I knew it had to fit in that specific mat, I cut a window out of cardboard so I could keep track of the design size.

I stamped some blue circles.


Finally, I added some machine stitched arches across the top and some hand embroidery.
I didn't need to finish the edges (or even add a back) since the whole "quilt" would be sandwiched in the mat and displayed in a plastic sleeve.

We had to send a very brief statement about the quilt. Here's what I wrote.

It's staying lighter longer, but it's still cold. There are signs of growth, but the new bits are still fragile. So much of life is spent "in between" and undefined. 

I'm not going to the conference, but I am happy to know that my work will be included and will have an opportunity to raise some money for this great organization. 

3 comments:

liniecat said...

That's great, welcome back : )

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is VERY sweet and your artist's statement seems to fit the quilt to a T!

Carol R. Eaton Designs said...

Love this!